Decorations using folded paper and staples are a fun and thrifty way to get ready for any type of party.
Is It Origami?
The first question you may be asking when searching for decorations using folded paper and staples is whether these projects qualify as origami. Purists would say no, since origami generally does not use tape, glue, or staples to help reinforce a project. However, these festive projects are fun and easy to make. They're also a good way to practice making crisp folds and reading instructions carefully. So, even if they're not technically origami, they're still worth your time!
Classic Paper Chains
The most obvious way to make decorations using folded paper and staples is to make a pretty paper chain. This simple project is one you might remember making as a child, looking for a way to count down the days until Christmas.
- Origami paper, scrapbooking paper, or other decorative paper
- Scissors or paper trimmer
- Cut paper into strips that are approximately ½ inch wide and five inches long.
- Fold the ends of one strip together to make a circle. Staple closed.
- Loop one end of the second strip through the first circle, then staple closed.
- Repeat steps 2-3 as needed until the chain is the desired length.
Modern Paper Ornaments
These modern paper ornaments bring a contemporary flair to any party. By varying the number of strips used and the placement of the staples, you can give these simple ornaments a number of different looks.
- Double-sided paper or cardstock in assorted colors
- Scissors or paper trimmer
- Thread for hanging
- Cut paper into seven strips measuring one inch wide and about 11 inches long.
- Choose a color combination for your ornament. Alternating two or three colors generally looks best.
- Cut the center strip down to six inches long.
- Cut the outer strips to measure seven inches, nine inches, and 11 inches. Each layer of your ornament should have two pieces, one on each side.
- Place the tops of all the strips flush together, then staple.
- Line up the bottom edges so they are flush together, then staple.
- Use the thread to hang your ornament in the desired location.
More Ideas for Decorations Using Folded Paper and Staples
If you're looking for ideas for decorations using staples and folded origami papers, LoveToKnow Origami suggests visiting the following helpful Web sites:
- Paper Rosettes: Delicate paper rosette decorations are a lovely choice for a wedding, anniversary, or baby shower.
- Paper Fans: Use these paper fan decorations for a number of different party themes, depending on the paper and embellishments you choose.
- Mod Paper Balls: These contemporary looking ball ornaments are a fun addition to any party.
- 3D Paper Snowflakes: This gorgeous snowflake will look pretty in your window all winter long.