If you want to create the ultimate military vehicle, use these paper tank origami instructions. Origami boats and airplanes impress some people, but there are certain situations where only a tank will do.
Basic Paper Tank Origami Instructions
This origami project uses a sheet of paper that is 8.5 by 11 inches long. While this is standard size paper for printers and copiers, it's not the traditional square shape of origami paper. Fortunately, it's easy to obtain. Use a piece of printer paper for an all-white tank, or try colored scrapbook paper for a fancier look. For a fun touch, use paper that features a camouflage print.
Things You'll Need
- One sheet of paper
- Smaller sheet of paper
- Folding surface
What to Do
- Place the sheet of paper in front of you, and fold it lengthwise. You now have a long rectangle. You can use the ruler to help you make straight folds.
- On one end of the rectangle, fold the corner down to create a right triangle. Crease your fold, and unfold. Repeat by folding the other way and unfolding again.
- Using the guidelines you created in the previous step, pinch the paper to create a triangle shape on the end of your long rectangle.
- Repeat the previous two steps on the other end of the long rectangle.
- With the folded sides facing up, fold the long sides in to the center of your shape. Then fold the edge of the paper back toward the crease you just made. Repeat this process on the other side of your shape. You now have a structure with four triangles sticking out of it.
- Pick one end of your shape, and fold the triangle sides so they almost meet in the center. You should fold them upwards and allow a small gap.
- Turning your shape over on the folding surface, folding the end you just finished so that it goes back against the shape.
- Grasp the other end of the shape, and fold it up so that it nearly meets the end you just made. You should fold it so it is about half an inch shorter than the first end.
- Find the triangular flaps from Step 7, and tuck them under the back flaps. You'll have a folded shape with a larger triangle on top.
- Tuck the points of the larger triangle into the flaps of the rest of the shape.
- Using gentle pressure, untuck the wheels, which are the folds you created in Steps 5 and 6.
- Roll up the smaller sheet of paper, and tuck it into the tank body. Experiment with the size of this barrel shape to find dimensions that are best for your tank.
- You're ready to roll!
Origami Tank Videos
Even if you have clear paper tank origami instructions, it helps to see other versions of this project. As you get ready to make your origami tank, review the following videos:
- Origami Tank on YouTube
- How to Fold an Origami Tank from Video Jug
- Wonder How-To's Fold an Origami Tank with One Sheet of Paper
Other Origami Vehicles
Once you've finished your tank, try your hand at these other origami vehicles: