Learning how to make a paper sword is easy enough. There are several options for you to make. In fact, you may just want to get creative yourself and create your own origami swords.
Learning How to Make a Paper Sword
You can make paper swords using origami techniques. In origami, you do not cut the paper, nor is it taped or glued in place. The only way to get the sword design to look appropriate is to fold it properly. To fold this type of paper sword, follow the steps below. This creates a basic origami sword.
- Start by selecting the right type of paper. For this paper sword, you will need a piece of paper that is twice as long as it is wide. A good place to start is with a piece of paper that is eight inches by four inches in length.
- Fold the paper in half lengthwise. This needs to be a valley fold. This means that the angle of the fold is pointing inward. Simply place the paper on the table with the short side near you. Take the left side of the paper and fold over to match with the edge of the right side and unfold.
- Fold the left edge of the paper in to meet the centerfold you created in the previous step. Then, repeat the process using the right side of the paper.
- Perform an accordion fold. To do this, fold the top edge (short side) down about a quarter of the way. Then, fold the quarter section down again. This should create a half inch pleated fold when complete. You should have three different sized lengths now.
- Turn the paper so that the split side is facing you. Then, pull the edges of the smallest section of folded paper towards the center. You will need to perform a squash fold (where you press the paper into the shape), which will wrap and crease the top section. Repeat this process on the other side.
- Next, focus on the long section. Open up the folds and then turn the left edge down along the center seam of the paper. Do this again on the ridge edge. This step helps to create the point of the origami sword. When you finish, it should look like an arrow.
- Fold the two outside flaps back into place, so that the meet in at the centerline.
- Now, work on the other end, which is the hilt of the sword. Fold the section with the two triangle folds up towards the tip of the sword. When making this fold, ensure that the fold is about the same size as the original small fold you created.
- Now perform this fold again, just in the reverse direction. The split portion of the blade should be facing up.
- To narrow down the blade of the sword, simply repeat the process used to create the hilt. To do this, draw in the two small pockets on each side of the small fold toward the center. You will need to reduce the width of the sword's blade down, all the way to the tip. This completes the origami sword.
Other Paper Swords
If you are not necessarily looking for an origami sword, but would like to create some interesting and dynamic swords, consider following the directions contained in any of these website links.
- Try a video of how to make a paper sword out of newspaper.
- Try making a paper ninja sword.
- This paper sword uses a bit of a different approach. The result is a sword that is more durable than other paper swords.
Perhaps you would like to make your own sword. You can learn how to make a paper sword using this paper sword template video and then create the style and type of sword that works for you. This template is customizable to fit your own unique creations.